Today we are dealing with freezing cold and tons of snow, so it seemed like the perfect day for baking. I had a ton of cake mixes I got for super cheap over the holidays. As well as some other leftover holiday bits and pieces so I scoured the internet to see what I could make with them (other than yet another cake.) Naturally, I headed to Pinterest to see what goodies I could find. I found tons of recipes for cake mix brownies, but the one I decided to try looked so easy that I couldn’t possibly mess it up. This awesome recipe is on the blog Cookies and Cups.
Now, on the blog she used baking melts in her brownies (which sounds awesome) but I didn’t have any, so I used Nestle Morsels – the holiday ones, so you may see some red and green- and that worked quite well. I followed the recipe exactly. Once I mixed it all up (and it was tough to mix!) I got this:
So I popped it in the oven for about 25 minutes and what I ended up with were some of the tastiest brownies ever.
They were such a success that I decided to try again, but I adapted the recipe a bit in the next batch and came up with Peppermint Cake Brownies.
Here is what I did:
- 1 box cake mix (I used red velvet.)
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup International Delight Peppermint Mocha creamer
- 1 egg
- Half a bag of Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips
- In a bowl, mix together the cake mix, oil, creamer, egg and baking chips (however many you want, but save some to throw on the top.)
- Spread into an 8×8 pan (the dough is crazy thick, but that’s okay.)
- Sprinkle some more peppermint pieces on top and push them down a bit into the dough.
- Bake on 400 for 25 minutes. (I have an old oven, your cooking time and temp may vary so keep an eye on it.)
- Once an inserted toothpick comes out clean, take it out and let it cool completely before removing from the pan.
These came out gooey and delicious and had a wonderful peppermint flavor. I was really excited with how they came out since the creamer thing was a bit of an experiment for me. I figured the chance of complete failure was about 50%, so I’m glad it ended up working out.
Both the original recipe and the adapted peppermint experiment came out great! I will definitely be making these again and I like the many different options I could experiment with as far as adding creamers to the brownies.