This is another freezer meal I came across on Pinterest that is a crazy good money saver and it makes 3 meals. The original recipe is called Mexican Lasagna from Keeza’s Freezer Meals. (This blog has some really awesome and different freezer recipes. I will definitely be trying others. She also breaks down the prices of the items as well.) I made two of these with soft tortillas, but I didn’t have enough to do the third one. What I did have was half a bag of tortilla chips, so I used those instead. I made a few other minor changes, but kept most of it the same.
Source: Keeza’s Freezer Meals
- 2 lbs of ground beef
- 2 packages of taco seasoning
- 2 – 16oz jars of mild salsa
- 1 can of pinto beans
- 1 can of corn
- 2 8oz bag of Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 1/2 bags of tortilla chips (I broke mine, but you could just layer them in.)
- In a deep skillet brown the ground beef on medium heat. (Drain the fat.)
- In the skillet combine beef, corn, salsa and pinto beans (drained.) Then toss the taco seasoning on top and stir until well mixed.
- Let simmer about five minutes till it thickens up a bit.
- In the pans put a 1/2 a cup of the mixture into the bottom of all three pans. (It’s super important to measure and not eyeball it because you want to make sure all three meals come out right.)
- Add a layer of tortilla chips. (I just made sure the crushed chips completely covered the mixture on the bottom.)
- Add another 1/2 cup of the mixture to each pan.
- Top with cheese. (I didn’t measure this. Just try to sprinkle it evenly onto all three pans.
Once the pans are done, cover them with foil and label them. Pop them into the freezer and you have three meals to use later.
When you are ready to cook, thaw it for 24 hours, uncover it and cook it on 350 for a half hour.
We enjoyed this meal with the soft tortillas (and it stayed in it’s lasagna form quite nicely) but the chips were the clear winner here. Everyone enjoyed this, it’s easy, makes three meals with minimal ingredients and cooks up perfectly after being frozen. I will definitely make it again.