So, this came about because we had a bunch of apples that we needed to use up. Naturally I took to Pinterest to try and find something easy to do with our excess of apples. After much perusing, it seemed that a dump cake would be easy and relatively painless to make.
Adapted from: Cake Mix Apple Crisp
- Around 10 apples. ( I had a bunch of small red delicious and a couple of bigger golden delicious.)
- 1 yellow cake mix
- Cinnamon sugar
- 1/4 cup of butter, melted
- Peel apples and cut them into slices. (The toughest part for me, I haven’t mastered the art of peeling.)
- Spread them into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the apples.
- Dump the cake mix on top, making sure to cover all of the apples. (You may not need all of the cake mix! I made the mistake of putting too much and some of it didn’t come out quite right.)
- Drizzle the melted butter over top of the cake mix.
- Bake on 350 for thirty minutes or until cake mix is golden brown.
Verdict: Nearly A Win
I think this would’ve come out perfect if I had not decided to just dump the entire cake mix on there. As it was the cake mix didn’t all cook up the way I had envisioned when I thought of my perfect appley dessert. That being said, the apples came out quite tasty! I would definitely try it again.