I spend the first part of today doing some freezer cooking (I’ll have a post tomorrow about it) and I finished off the cooking spree by putting this together for dinner. I happened to get free Simply Potatoes Shredded Hashbrowns (thanks to coupons!) so of course I headed to Pinterest to see what I could make that would be new and yummy. This recipe caught my eye because pretty much any recipe that’s labeled Mexican jumps out at me.
Source: Bubbly Nature Creations
- 20oz bag of shredded hashbrowns
- 8oz block of cream cheese, softened
- 8oz bag of Mexi-blend shredded cheese
- 15oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- In a skillet brown the ground beef on medium heat, drain.
- Add taco seasoning and tomato sauce. Mix and then simmer on medium-low for 2 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and half of the Mexi-blend cheese and mix well until the cheeses have melted.
- Turn off the burner, then add the hashbrown potatoes. Mix completely until the potatoes are covered.
- Dump the mixture into a greased 9×13 pan.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Bake on 400 for 40 minutes or until the edges brown up.
Verdict: Not quite a win.
This was fine. Everyone ate it, but it wasn’t a total win. Some of the fam thought it was too cheesy (it is VERY cheesy.) If you are a huge cheese fan this will probably be a win for you. I definitely recommend serving this with tortilla chips for a nice bit of crunch.