I LOVE root beer floats. There is something so perfect about them, so naturally making root beer float into a pie was something I had to try.
Now, I know this is probably more of a summer recipe, but I personally love root beer floats year round. Go with me on this.
- 1 container of Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 graham cracker crust, 9 inch (you can make your own, but I just bought a ready made one)
- 1 box of instant vanilla pudding (3.4oz)
- 3/4 cup of root beer (A&W is my favorite)
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Maraschino cherries (if you want them – we aren’t fans of cherries)
- In a bowl, whisk together pudding, root beer and milk for 2 minutes.
- Fold in 1 and 1/4 cups of the Cool Whip.
- Spread the mixture into the graham cracker crust.
- Top with the rest of the Cool Whip (I didn’t use all of it, but if you like lots of whipped toppy, go for it!)
- Refrigerate overnight or 8 hours (Super important because otherwise it ends up soupy)
- Add cherries if you’d like.
I’ve made this pie a few times and it’s a big hit around here. The first time I made it I used all of the whipped topping, but the fam preferred it with a bit less because the root beer layer is so good that you don’t want the whipped topping to overpower it. Your mileage may vary. I look forward to making this again and experimenting with other flavors of soda.