This recipe sounded really good in theory, but didn’t go so hot when I actually made it. I thought it would be something different to try since I have never used tortellini before.
Adapted from a recipe on Chef Recipes
- 1lb of ground beef
- 1 tsp of Italian seasoning
- 20oz package of tortellini (I used frozen, but I thawed it overnight in the fridge.)
- 8oz of cream cheese, softened
- 32oz of chicken broth
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, undrained (I used the ones with basil, oregano and garlic.)
- Cook ground beef in a skillet with the Italian seasoning, drain the fat.
- Add beef and tortellini to the crockpot.
- Pour diced tomatoes and chicken broth in and mix.
- Add cream cheese in chunks and then stir again.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Take off lid and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
While the flavor of this wasn’t bad, I did not care for the beef in it at all. The original recipe called for sausage, but I’m not crazy about sausage either, so I think I might’ve done better by leaving the meat out completely. In the original recipe the thirty minutes with the lid off was supposed to help it thicken up, but mine never did. So instead of a pasta with sauce I got soup. I won’t make this one again.